AIMS & OBJECTIVES
The aims and objectives of the Haryana State Seed Certification Agency are as given below:-
- to act as the Certification Agency established under section 8 of the Seeds Act,1966 (54 of 1966).
- to discharge the functions entrusted to the Certification Agency under Section 9 & 10 of the Seeds Act 1966 (54 of 1966).
- to recognise varieties ( and kinds where improved varieties are not available) eligible for Seed Certification and publish annually the lists indicating the names of such varieties and kinds.
- to maintain a list of sources of Breeder & Foundation seeds approved by the Central Seed Certification Board in the case of variety grown in more than one state and by the State Seed Certification board in case of varieties of local importance.
- to verify upon receipt of an application for certification that the variety is eligible for certification, that the application has been submitted in accordance with the procedure prescribed by the State Seed Certification Governing Board and that the source of seed used for planting is from approved sources.
- to provide for the inspection of seed fields, seed processing plants and seed lots in accordance with the procedures outlined by the Central Seed Certification Board.
- to ensure that the seeds certified in the State conform to the standards prescribed by the Central Seed Certification Board.
- to grant certificates, certification tags and seals etc. designed as per specifications provided by the Central Seed Certification Board and as per procedure prescribed by the State Seed Certification Governing Board.
- to carry out educational programmes designed to promote the use of certified seed including a publication listing co-operators in the Seed Certification programme & sources of certified seed and provide such information to the Central Seed Certification Board and to publicise the same.
- to regulate the processing of seeds in the seed processing units with a view to see that seeds are properly processed to conform to the standards fixed.
- to test the seeds at the notified seed testing laboratories to conform to the standards prescribed under Seeds Act.
- periodical inspection of premises of dealers to ensure that certification standards are not violated & there is no abuse of certification in any form & to ensure that farmers get certified seeds conforming to the standard prescribed under the Seeds Act at all times.